Work in Canada
Apply to work in Canada, extend a work permit or hire a foreign worker.
Special Measures for Foreign Nationals Affected by the U.S. Executive Order: Individuals who have made travel arrangements to enter the United States, have the documents that would normally have been required to enter the US, but cannot travel to the United States due to the Executive Order, can apply for temporary status in Canada, or to have their current temporary status extended.
For all work permit holders from visa-exempt countries:
- A work permit is not a visa. It does not give you the right to board your flight to Canada. Along with your permit, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada.
- If you are from a visa-exempt country and received your work permit before August 1, 2015, you will need to apply for eTA if you leave Canada and return by air.
- If you received your initial permit on or after August 1, 2015, you were automatically issued an eTA along with your permit.
- If you renew a work permit, an eTA is not automatically renewed or issued to you. You need to apply for one separately. See Extend your work permit.
- Find out if you need a work permit
- You may need a permit depending on the type of work you will do in Canada
Get a work permit
Find out if you can apply and how to apply to work in Canada as a temporary worker, live-in caregiver, business person, and student
Extend your work permit
Work permit extensions for temporary workers or live-in caregivers, open work permits for those waiting on a permanent resident application
Travel and work in Canada as a youth
Find out if you can apply for the International Experience Canada program, how to become a candidate and what to do after you’re in the pool
Hire a foreign worker
Find out how to hire temporary workers, live-in caregivers, international students, permanent workers and interns
Prepare to work
Find a job, explore other career opportunities and learn about language training for the workplace
Get your credentials assessed
When and how to get your credentials assessed, upgrade your skills and education, and get occupation facts