skip to Main Content
+1 647-787-7121

Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor

If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must apply to do so. Check your temporary resident status to make sure you apply before the expiry date. This will be on your study or work permit, the stamp in your passport or, if you do not have a stamp in your passport, 6 months from the day you entered Canada. You should apply 30 days before your status expires to:

  • extend your visitor, student or work status,
  • change your permit type (for example, from a study permit to a work permit) or
  • change your permit condition(s) (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and you want to change jobs).

Find out how to extend your stay as a visitor.

Implied status

If you apply to extend your permit, and your visitor visa expires while you are waiting for a decision, you still have temporary resident (visitor) status. This is known as implied status.

Working or studying in Canada

Most visitors to Canada cannot work or study in Canada without a permit.

If you are visiting Canada and you want to work or study, you have a few options if you still have legal status in Canada.

For a new work permit, you can apply:

For a new study permit, you can apply:

Biometrics Collection

You may need to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when applying for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit. Find out if you need to give your biometrics.

If you need to give your biometrics with your Temporary Resident Visa, Work Permit, or Study Permit application, you have to go in person to the Visa Application Centre (VAC). DO NOT submit your application by mail. The VAC will collect your biometrics at the same time you submit your application.

In some cases, you are allowed to work or study without a permit. For more information, see:

Getting a visitor visa from within Canada

If you are currently a temporary resident in Canada with a valid status (i.e. study or work permit), you can apply for a new visitor visa to return to Canada before you leave.

Becoming a permanent resident of Canada

To stay in Canada as a permanent resident, you must leave the country and apply from outside Canada, except in the special cases listed below. To become a permanent resident, you must meet Canada’s immigration requirements.

You can apply to become a permanent resident from inside Canada if you:

Find more information about becoming a permanent resident.

Back To Top